Startups that grow into transformative companies do two things: (1) they nail the basics and (2) they cultivate the right habits (core operating principles).
The first is mandatory. If you don’t get the basics right, in all probability your company won’t succeed. A list of things we consider basics:
- Fundraising (don’t run out of capital)
- Ship (don’t just talk about it, ship it)
- Customer focus (live & breathe the customer experience)
- Growth (find an effective way to scale)
- EQ (hire well and get along)
- Ethics (stay legal)
In addition to getting these right, something that often goes unobserved is that world class companies embrace similar operating principles which help make them revolutionary. When we see these habits in companies, we take special notice. Below are 9 – there are more, but this is a good list to start.
Author: James Currier
Subjects: Best Practices, Entrepreneurship, Management